Today's Workforce Top 5 (November 22, 2019)
Hey, like this? Why not share?
Welcome to Today’s Top 5. This is the place where we highlight top workforce development activities around the country. Let’s get to it:
Updates for 11/22/19
- Virginia: Over the next 20 years, Virginia plans to invest $1 billion to build a tech-trained workforce through programs such as the Tech Talent Investment Program. Eleven of Virginia's colleges will receive funding through this program which was a major part in luring Amazon to the state.
- Oklahoma: “Building the Workforce through Real World Learning” event was hosted by ImpactTulsa and the Tulsa Regional Chamber. This event highlighted the value of internships for high school students as a method of building a better workforce. See the article in the Tulsa World.
- Mississippi: The third annual State of the Coast Economy Symposium was held in Biloxi with conversation primarily focused on a strong tech-savvy workforce. See the story from WLOX.
- Washington, Connecticut, Massachusetts: An analysis of how federal workweek legislation remains elusive as several states consider fair workweek legislation. See the analysis on workforce.com.
- Louisiana: As the pipeline industry continues to expand in Louisiana, the demand for more skilled workers also increases. KPLC reports that SOWELA Technical Community College is starting a Pipeline Training Academy to begin training students while they are still in high school.